My most treasured Portuguese handmade article - Castelo Branco Embroidery


Castelo Branco Embroidery - Exhibit at APPCDM
Castelo Branco Embroidery - Exhibit at APPCDM 
By Jo of leather loves TOSCO

Typical embroidery has always fascinated me, but I gained a special passion for Castelo Branco embroidery (typical of the northern region of Portugal) when I was invited to attend a workshop to learn it.

It is embroidered in natural silk thread, has influences from the Orient, particularly in terms of matrices and decorative designs, based on Indo-Portuguese and Chinese bedspreads.

Castelo Branco Embroidery - Exhibit at APPCDM
Castelo Branco Embroidery - Exhibit at APPCDM 
Each embroidery tells a story with its symbolic elements, the home is the tree of life, the espoused represented by birds together, carnations and roses representing men and woman, respectively, lilies, the Virtue, hearts for love, tendrils for Friendship, among others, I think it is these stories that seduced me.

I´m still finishing my first embroidery, I think it is important to keep our craft traditions and promote them to future generations. As I like an eclectic decor, when I'm finished, I will put it in a special place that will surely give much charm to the environment.

Jo's Embroidery
Jo's Embroidery

Jo's Embroidery
Jo's Embroidery
Text and photos by Jo aka leather loves TOSCO.



2 comments:

 

PTteam

Twitter Updates

    Meet The Author

    Hello there!
    We are a team of Etsy sellers with Portugal in our hearts! Our members come from all around the world and our connection is Portugal. Be welcome!