Meet the Members - Whittle by Design

We're back with one more interview in this series.
Now you'll get to know one of our newest members, the jewellery designer Sara Whittle and her shop Whittlebydesign.

Enjoy!

Avant Garde necklace by Whittlebydesign
Avant Garde necklace by Whittlebydesign

Name: Sara Whittle
Website: www.whittlebydesign.com
Etsy shop: Whittlebydesign.etsy.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/whittlebydesign
Blog: whittlebydesign.tumblr.com

Hello! Could you tell us a little about yourself?

I'm a tea drinker, haircut hater, a food lover, a salsa dancer and a movie fanatic who lives in the South of Portugal.

Necklace by Whittlebydesign
Necklace by Whittlebydesign

What made choose this craft (art)?

I studied fashion design in England and then I internship with Ann-Sofie Back and Fred Butler (Acessorize designer). I guess that was the moment I thought I actually didn't want to be a fashion designer. So I moved to my homeland Portugal after graduating where I did my last internship with Valentim Quaresma a conceptual jewellery designer. Working with him made me realize the importance of the branding surrounding a business.

Meanwhile making clothes kept me returning to accessories and I started assisting a few stylists who were asking me to make custom pieces for editorial shots. One year later I opened my own brand.

There is something really amazing about making accessories. People invest in things that have an impact in terms of fashion but aren't as expensive. Today with the immeasurable amount of materials that you can choose to work with, combined with technology you can have excellent results.

Why sell on Etsy?

Etsy it's not only a place to sell beautiful things, it's also a big social network. This means that it's better way to promote my work and to make sales.

Geometric prespex pendant by Whittlebydesign
Geometric prespex pendant by Whittlebydesign

What do you find most inspiring?

I get inspired by things that I see (sometimes random things) from travelling etc…

You were involved in the "Mentor Month" program on Etsy. What was the most important thing that you took from it?

In overall it was a very good experience because I had the chance to improve the flaws that my etsy store had (like tag words) and to talk with other “etsians” about their own personal experience.

This changes during the Mentor Month also provided me more sales and followers.

Necklace by Whittlebydesign
Necklace by Whittlebydesign

Name a person you find inspiring and why?

Ivania Caprio is my ultimate muse. She is the blogger of love aesthetics, I really adore her because not only she makes beautifull things, I love her minimal, functional style.

All photos by Whittlebydesign.


Check the other Meet the Members interviews.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

PTteam

Twitter Updates

    Meet The Author

    Hello there!
    We are a team of Etsy sellers with Portugal in our hearts! Our members come from all around the world and our connection is Portugal. Be welcome!